menu

Q&A with TechHuddle's CEO

IMG_8919.JPG

On 17th of October, during his last visit I had the chance to ask the CEO of TechHuddle a few of questions that I think would be interesting for the readers of our blog to read.

We had a small discution after one of our meetings w here I asked him: Rich, you are the CEO of TechHuddle and I know you are a CTO by background but do you still code?

To which he replied: TechHuddle has over 250 staff and counting. The majority of which are developers. So there really is no need for me to code. From time to time I help clients make technology, architectural and strategic decisions but I do not code on their projects. I have not been a full-time developer for over 20 years. I do occasionally code though. I would say every 6 months or so. Whenever we or a client introduce a new programming test I nearly always do the test to see how long it takes, whether the document is clear enough and whether it will allow us to determine how good their programming skills are. Along with our practice leads I typically review the programming test results for candidates applying to join our On-Demand department.

I know that diferent technologies are created to solve diferent kind of problems, but I wanted to hear what Rich had to say about this, so I asked him: Which programming language do you think is best?

He answerd saying this: I don't get religious when it comes to programming languages. I have programmed in over a dozen programming languages. You can pretty much do most things in most of the languages. A good Java developer would be a good Python programmer within a couple of months. I recommend to clients that they chose a programming language for which there are plenty of developers. No CEO or board will thank their CTO for choosing a language which impedes their businesses growing.

I needed to uderstand more about the front end languages and platforms so I couldn't : Which JavaScript framework is most in demand and which do you see winning?

He answerd with some observations and statistics, saying: If we go back 3 years ago clients and prospects were only interested in AngularJS. Angular 2 required people to rewrite their code and this caused most people to consider alternatives. Now 90% of clients are using React with Redux or Apollo. The remaining 10% is split between Angular and Vue. I don't see this trend changing any time soon. So to answer your question, React is the current winner.

At one of our recent PHP practice lunches we discussed Livewire, so I asked hik: Whats so interesting about Livewire?

He explained: Livewire is a full-stack framework for Laravel that makes building dynamic front-ends as simple as writing vanilla PHP. If you are a Laravel developer this is good news because you don't need to write so much JavaScript code. At this point in time Livewire is still pre-release but we cannot wait to experiment with it and use it on projects.

At another PHP practice lunch we talked about Vapor. I was interested to hear his answer about Vapor as well and here is his response:

Vapor is a serverless deployment platform for Laravel applications on Amazon Web Services. It handles the environments, deployments, auto-scaling, caching, queuing, storage, databases, SSL certificates (including auto renewing), CDN configuration, DNS, rollbacks, metrics, etc. Vapor was developed by Laravel's creators.
Basically its the future of how Laravel applications will be deployed.

At the AWS Community Day Conference everyone talked so much about serverless, thats why I wanted to know more. Do you think Serverless will have a long future, I asked Richard.

Yes , eventually most applications written will have a server less architecture. I think it’s important to get to a future where developers have to worry much less about infrastructure. All the major Cloud platforms now have a server less offerings.